Friday, February 3, 2012

Instagram Recap // Oahu, Hawaii

Jamie and I met up in Oahu for some girl pow. Her from NYC and me from SLC. This trip cost virtually nothing considering I had a voucher from Hawaiian Airlines that was almost expired. Not to mention free food, free car and a free place to stay at my Dad's house on the North Shore. Poor Larry had to stay behind and work at his day job which made the trip bitter sweet but he was a good sport about it all.

Pipemasters // 3 Tables

Gosh, it would take me a while to write it all down so I will try to condense it but we made good use of our time out there. We hiked, swam, surfed, danced, dined, snorkeled, kayaked, toured, spectated, cliff jumped, climbed, you name it. Don't count on R&R when vacationing with Jamie. That girl is all energy ...which I am grateful for and makes for a good time.

Pipeline // Beaching

I showed up on the second day of the Pipemasters with a warm rainbow welcome and then Jamie arrived a day later. The Pipemasters is always fun to watch because the action happens fairly close to the shore opposed to some other beach breaks. Pipe is in my top 5 beaches so the scenery isn't all that bad either. Lucky for us the swell died down mid trip and we were able to jump off the rocks at Waimea Bay. Normally in the winter the waves are too big.

 Pipemasters // Backdoor
// Waimea Bay //

Jamie's friends were staying at a house in front of back door. All those boys ever did was surf and watch the waves from their porch. Ty-pi-cal. Ask me again why I never wanted to marry a surfer... They were bigger divas than us girls. Anyway, we were bored and itching for an adventure so we took their kayak out. That didn't really work out for us. After many sloppy attempts, a friend was nice enough to paddle it through the waves so we could play in it past the break.  It was one of my favorite things we did and we ended up swimming with a couple turtles.

 Houkilau Beach // Backdoor
Haunama Bay // Backdoor

One weekend we stayed in the Waikiki condo and hit the streets for a night. That's about all I can really take of that city. From there we swam with the fishies in Hanauma Bay. It might be touristy but it's totally worth it.

 // Waikiki //
 Waikiki Condo // North Shore View
// Hanauma Bay //

Another day I took Jamie and my dad on the Crouching Lion hike. The trailhead is impossible to find but somehow we did (look for the pink/orange markers and go straight into the jungle). From there you climb the ridge line of the mountain. Having cliffs to each side of you makes for a thrilling trek while the view catches your breath. We went as far as we could until we thought the wind would bulldoze us to our deaths. My dad was a trooper. His shoes had no traction and I thought he might slip ...or have a heart attack. Speaking of death, Jam and I got caught in a riptide. That was scary for a second but we got out of it before the lifeguards had to come get us. Sort of...

 Crouching Lion // Turtles at Laniakea

Jamie nagged convinced me to take the surfboard out at Chuns, which I'm glad she did. I grew up at the beach and have taken the board out but by no means am I surfer. It brought back so many memories of when Matt used to teach me how to duckdive in Carlsbad at Tamarack and Acacia. It was really fun getting back into it until I got jacked up by a wave. But it wasn't anything some Hi-Chews couldn't cure. Don't even ask me how many I ate when I was there... Apparently not enough to keep me from wishing I had some right now.

 Chuns // Backdoor
Waikiki // Sunset Beach

All in all, Hawaii was good to us. I don't know how many more trips I can take without my Larry but I'm grateful he allows me to spend time with my friends, even if it is on a tropical island thousands of miles away. And despite all the fun, he's a hard one to be apart from. Thanks to him, I was happy to come home. And thanks to my dad and Jammy Jam, I had a blast.

View of Diamond Head // Waikiki sunset

3 comments:

birds do it better... said...

im sick of you two taking trips without the rest of us!! what, would having a fat pregnant chick ruin jam's game or something? Actually, Im a little winded just looking at all your pictures. pretty fun adventures you ho's had.

Emeline C.Withers said...

I just couldn't depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info an individual supply to your guests? Is gonna be back frequently to check out new posts
Hideaway HORICON MARSH BLND BAG MAX4 1536 Heavyweight Water Resistant Polyester Camo

Campingkocher said...

visit Indonesian
from Jakarta call me here :
www.ondelondeljakarta.com eksotics