Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Stop: Lava Hot Springs

The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays.  Maybe because it occurs in the summertime and when my favorite fruits are in season.  Or maybe because I'm a sucker for patriotic songs paired with fire exploding in the sky.  Without fail my eyes become a little wet when I think back to America's past and my grandmother's war stories.  With each generation I feel like we lose a little bit of loyalty for our beloved America and I don't want to forget all that she has offered me.

But seriously, I think I had the best 4th of July week out of all of you.  It was perfect and exceeded all my expectations.  We started our 4th of July week excursion in Lava Hot Springs, ID.  It is one of the most unique little towns in the middle of nowhere. I had been once before and was super excited to introduce Mark to such a gem so close to home.  The river winds through the heart of the city and has rapids wild enough to make you laugh and scream. You get to watch drunk dudes in tubes that try to hold their beer can in their mouth while swimming for their lives when their tube tips over. What is it about free water that attracts white trash? Mark and I were the only ones without a tattoo. Needless to say, the people there are pretty awesome.

In addition to the rapids, natural hot springs are scattered along the river. We were lucky to have one all to ourselves the other morning after the most ghetto pancake breakfast hosted by the locals. We met a veteran named Paul there. He thought mark was a celebrity and wanted his autograph. He had all sorts of interesting things to say to us.

We tried the super gourmet (sarcasm) Thai Restaurant called "Thai Food".  The food was as impressive as the name but our expectations weren't very high considering the town population is pretty sparse. After dinner we found a free campsite just east of town on pebble creek rd (I think) on the left hand side. We are so sick of getting raped by paid camping when all we really need is a place to park our car.   We stayed for 2 days and 1 night and then headed up to Idaho Falls for some fireworks and burgers. After BJ gave us the royal treatment in Ririe (horseback riding, 4-wheeling, hearty steak dinners and a tour of his farm) we worked our way up to Jackson Hole, WY and toured the Tetons. That place is magical.

more posts to come later of further north (once I upload the pics)...










































 

No comments: